Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Penne Rosa
Today I gave my Quinto (4th grade) students Applebee's menus as a way to learn how to use quantifiers for count and non-count nouns (these nouns being the food). Aka, we were learning how to use a/an, some, a few, and any in conjunction with food. My students were completely and totally engaged. It was one of those great, rare moments in my teaching career when I felt like I had figured out a great lesson. This lasted until my students found the pasta section, which boldly highlighted a dish called Penne Rosa. In Spanish, pene is the word for penis, and rosa is the word for pink. So, no matter that penne the pasta has two "n"s; my students quickly abandoned their desire to investigate the menu for a fit of giggles, laughing and pointing, and rolling on the floor in exaggerated laughter. They the two girls who found this dish first chanted "pene rosa" enough times to make all of my male students turn red. I eventually got the students back on track, but I continued to hear whispers of "pene rosa" throughout the afternoon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment